No one expects to be in a New Haven auto accident which means very few people know how to proceed when they actually do. Unless you’ve been in a auto accident or you’re a New Haven auto accident attorney, chances are you have no idea how to proceed when one occurs. Here is a list of five things you should do right after an accident:
- Take pictures. Not just of your car. Be sure to take pictures of any injuries sustained during the accident. This way you’ll have proof of injury long after the bruises have healed.
- Keep a diary. The after effects of an accident might interrupt your life more than you realize. Keep a log of things you couldn’t do because of your accident. Whether it’s missing that 5K you were planning on running, or skipping a day of work to get your car at the shop, these details are important.
- Don’t talk to the other person’s insurance company. Just don’t do it. The insurance company has one goal in mind: to avoid paying a claim. Don’t give them any material to work with.
- Don’t sign anything! Documents are powerful in court. Don’t sign anything the insurance company gives you as these can be used against you later in court.
- Forward all correspondence to your New Haven auto accident attorney. The law is complex and filled with loopholes that you might not be aware of. Play it safe by sending all communication, whether it’s with the other person involved in the accident or the insurance company, to your lawyer.
If you or your loved one were injured in an accident, contact our firm’s New Haven auto accident attorneys. We have been defending the rights of the Shoreline and New Haven for nearly 60 years.