Bikes are a great way to get around during the warmer months, especially in an urban community like New Haven. They can be dangerous after dark. Not surprisingly New Haven personal injury bicycle accidents have a tendency to increase at night.
There are certain steps you can take to prevent an accident, even at night:
- Install turn signals just below your bicycle seat as hand signals will not be visible at night.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wearing reflective clothing can help bicyclists become more visible both during the day and evening hours.
- Add reflective stickers to your helmet so that traffic can more readily see you.
- Ride together. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration recommends safety in numbers. Riders who cycle in groups are much more likely to be seen and avoid fatal injuries.
- Know the rules of the road. Following the rules of the road at anytime of the day is crucial to preventing a bicycle accident and particularly at night.
Riding a bicycle at night increases your risk for an accident. If you or a loved one has experienced a crash, the New Haven personal injury lawyers at The LoRicco Law Firm can help you protect your long term interests.