Back injuries from car accidents are painful and often require lots of time and medical treatment. These types of injuries can often leave you with long-lasting pain – as New Haven auto accident attorneys, we’ve seen it. Below are some common back injuries that can result from this type of accident.
- Whiplash. One of the most common auto accident injuries, whiplash can cause damage to the muscles, ligaments, and tissues in the neck. It happens when the head and neck are propelled forward when the body stays still. Whiplash pain can be immediate or not present for several hours or days. Symptoms are headache, dizziness, stiffness, pain, blurred vision, and fatigue.
- Spinal fractures. Often concurring when the seat belt fails to hold your body sufficiently. The lower half of the body remains in place, while the upper torso is jostled around. These cracks in your vertebrae may heal on their own with immobilization and rest, or they may require surgery.
- Disc injuries. The discs in between vertebrae can sustain quite a bit a trauma during an auto accident. The force of the accident causes compression that can cause shifting and compress nerves and cause pain. Disc injury types are herniated, bulging, and ruptured. Depending on the severity of the injury, surgery may be required to repair.
- Spondylolisthesis. When compression force causes vertebrae to shift out of place. This shift can compress nerves or the spinal column. Depending on severity, surgery may be required.
- Spinal stenosis. Not caused by car accidents directly. Age can cause the spinal column to narrow, but an accident can bring forward symptoms that may not have presented until much later.
- Spinal cord injuries. Even low-impact accidents can injure the spinal cord. Lacerated spinal cords can cause paralysis.
If you or a loved one was injured in a crash, contact the New Haven auto accident attorneys at The LoRicco Law Firm. Our team is experienced to handle your case and help protect your long term interests.