School is starting in the next couple of weeks for New Haven and the Shoreline. Excitement will engulf kids as they wonder who their teacher is, who is in their class, and what the new school year will bring. While the school day brings its own adventures, getting there and home should be safe. Below are some safety tips for all different way to get your child to school.
– Walk on the sidewalk if one if available; if one isn’t available, walk facing traffic.
– Make sure you look both ways multiple times before crossing the street.
– Make eye contact with drivers before crossing in a crosswalk to make sure they see you crossing.
– Avoid distracted walking.
– Wait at the bus stop with them to show them the proper way to board and unboard the bus.
– Stand six feet from the curb.
– Stand ten feet ahead of the bus and wait for the driver to signal that it is safe to cross.
– Obey school zone speed limits.
– Make eye contact with kids crossing the street.
– DO NOT pass a bus that is stopped to pick-up and drop-off students.
– Make sure you stop far behind a bus to allow kids plenty of space.
– Ride on the right side of the road, single file, with traffic.
– Come to a complete stop before crossing the street.
– Stay alert and don’t ride distracted.
– Always wear a properly fitting helmet.
The New Haven personal injury lawyers at The LoRicco Law Firm wish everyone a safe, happy, and healthy start to the new school year!