If you are in a situation where you have been involved in a New Haven auto accident and you were rear ended there are some very specific things you should do and one very important thing you should NOT do. Let’s start with the thing you should not do first.
Under no circumstance should you jump out of your car and start yelling and screaming at the person who rear-ended you. This will only cause friction and will hurt your ability to get the care and compensation that you may need and be entitled to. Here’s what you should do instead:
- Stay in your car to assess any injuries you or your passengers may have. While your injuries may seem minor or non-exisistent in an elevated state you may miss minor issues that could turn into something bigger. Taking a few extra minutes to assess the situation will help you a whole lot in the long run.
- Check to see if the driver and passenger of the cars that were involved are ok.
- Contact the police so a police report can be filed. No matter how minor an accident might be, you will still want it documented for your insurance company.
- Seek medical attention. You should be seen by a medical professional whether you think you were injured or not. There are some situations where injuries can be hidden under the surface and only a medical professional can catch them.
- Contact an attorney if necessary. There are some New Haven auto accidents you will be able to settle with your insurance company yourself, but there may be times when you need an attorney to help get you the compensation you are entitled to and so you may want to seek the advice and review of an attorney.
Getting rear-ended can be a jarring situation. Often you are not expecting it to happen and when it does it can shake your nerves. Taking your time to let your nerves settle, assess the situation, and approach it calmly may be the difference between getting the care and compensation that you are entitled to or not.
If you’ve been injured in an accident and believe you need an attorney to review your case, contact our office and we will take a look at your case.