New Haven auto accident attorneys at The LoRicco Law Firm remind citizens to properly secure Christmas trees to their vehicle when transporting them home. According to research by AAA, in the last 4 years improperly secured trees have flown off vehicles and caused more than 200,000 auto accidents.
Fortunately for Connecticut residents, we are protected by the law. Two-thirds of all crashes that involve objects in the road were the result of debris falling off a vehicle and more than one-third of deaths in debris-related crashes were due to driver’s swerving to avoid debris. Most often losing control of their vehicles.
AAA offers these tips for transporting your Christmas tree home:
- Use a vehicle equipped with a roof rack. If you do not have a roof rack, some pick-up trucks, SUVs, or vans can fit a tree with all doors closed.
- Use the proper tie-downs.
- Secure branches with rope/twine or netting.
- The trunk of the tree should be toward the front of the car.
- Tie it down from every direction. And make you test the tie-downs before leaving the lot.
- Drive slowly and take back roads if possible.
Contact the LoRicco Law Firm if you or a loved one were injured in an accident. Our New Haven auto accident attorneys will help you fight the insurance companies to get compensation for your injuries.